Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Tic Tac Toe Hangman testing

The idea of combining TTT with Hangman isn't the most inspired idea I admit, but it was surprisingly fun. The people that tested it enjoyed the guessing and suspense of hangman. Adding TTT to the game actually added a little more complexity to the game, but not quite enough.

Hang man offers two enjoyment factors, the fun of guessing letters and words, as well as the thrill of having a limit of guesses. I tested the game using only 5 letter words and 6 guesses (head, body, 2 arms and 2 legs). If someone guessed a letter correctly they were allowed to place an X or O on the TTT board. This enabled 2 victory conditions, and a safety in case of the classic TTT tie.

The big problem was TTT is inherently a faster game than Hangman. About twice as fast. Which means I have two options. Either use shorter hang man words, or a bigger TTT grid. I'm more inclined to do the latter because it elongates the game.

Now the big question is, do I expand the TTT grid into 4x4 or 5x5 and make the win condition 4 in a row or keep it at 3?

I think I'm more inclined to make it a 4x4 or 5x5 grid and keep it 3 in a row, but it requires some testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment