Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Struggles of Tic-Tac-Toe

Similar to my peers below, I also had a hard time making tic-tac-toe fun. I found it much easier to create a more complicated game, rather than a simple one. With more complicated games, the creator is able to add in many mechanics and rules to the game to make it fair, fun, exciting, etc.  It's similar to writing a short 100-200 word essay, versus a longer one. I eventually ended up with two ideas, one much more like tic-tac-toe than the other.

For my first idea, I expanded the grid to 5x5. The goal is to create 4 or 5 (not sure yet) in a row, but with a twist. If a player's piece is completely surrounded by an opponent's piece, that piece gets converted. For example, if an X piece has O pieces around it, it gets turned into an O piece. If the game ends up in a tie, then the winner is whoever controls more "key areas" on the board. There are 5 key areas, one for each corner, and one in the middle.

My second idea is similar to snake, but multiplayer. The grid is much larger than a traditional tic-tac-toe game (not sure how big I want it yet). Each player starts on the left side, one on the top, the other on the bottom. With four players, each player starts at each corner. Each player takes turn adding in point pieces on the board (that must meet certain requirements, which are still being decided). There can be as many point pieces as the players decide. After the board is set up, each player takes turn expanding their snake by either one or two spaces. Each snake is a different shape. If a player wants to grab a point piece, they must move onto that piece, not over it. Meaning, if you are right next to a point piece, you must move only 1 over to grab it.

My second idea is definitely more complicated than the first. I hope tomorrow's play testing will help me solidify my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment