Sunday, July 12, 2015

Challenge Tic-Tac-Toe | Melinda Kuei


This version of Challenge tic-tac-toe is a game inspired by the simplicity and convenience of tic-tac-toe with the excitement of truth and dare games. It's a fun party game, because even though it's a two players game, spectators can watch both players make a fool of themselves.

Materials:
- writing tool
- paper squares

How to play:
- Both players (or the audience) write challenges on squares of paper. These challenges can be random or themed (eg. exercise or kid-friendly)
- They then shuffle the pieces and arrange them into a tic-tac-toe board.
- In order to put a mark in a square, the player has to complete the challenge.
- If they cannot complete the challenge, then they forfeit their turn and the square they wanted to claim.

Reflection:
When I first received the prompt, I wasn't very sure where to go. Tic-tac-toe in itself is an extremely simple game with nothing much to expand upon. My early iterations were focused on changing the board and gameplay to make it more challenge and sophisticated, and potentially some narrative. After some playtesting, I realized that these additions and changes were extremely superficial. I then turned my attention on the fundamental attributes of tic-tac-toe and tried find a way to make it more engaging. I was then reminded of how much fun cards against humanity was when we played it in class. Even though there were a limited number of players, the classmates who were spectating also had fun reading our responses to the prompts. I wanted to incorporate the simplicity of tic-tac-toe with the social fun aspect and came up with my current idea. I was worried that this game was too simple, but many people who played it had fun and they liked that the game was easy to pick up. It's not too dependent on strategy or techniques, which makes it low stress and a fun party game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment