Sunday, July 28, 2013

What's in the bag?

Unfortunately, I disassembled my project before writing this post so no pictures.

I had a bag of hair that I wanted to use (it's mine) and I was suggested to work on creating an atmosphere that lead up to a viewer unveiling the hair.

I typed up a bunch of letters with increasingly creepy messages to a person named Kate. At first the letters seemed to greet Kate like a concerned friend. "Hello Kate... Are you unwell?... You should take better care of yourself."  The dates written on the envelopes indicated the time period that Kate was receiving the letters. The way the letters were pre-opened conveyed what Kate was feeling at the time. From tearing the envelope along the top to ripping the letters apart. Finally, the viewer reaches the hair carefully wrapped in a scarf. An unsent letter at the bottom of the bag ends the experience with "I'm sorry."

Though I intended there to be some logic and narrative to the story in the way I presented this piece, part of the experience is trying to decipher what exactly went on. A lot of the story is hinted at. But the ambiguity of whether Kate lives or dies or is kidnapped is left to the viewer.

-Zixing Guo

No comments:

Post a Comment