Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Treasure Hunt

     This game is designed to stir curiosity in one individual and keep him or her moving around campus,  searching for the next reward. There are a total of four dollars scattered around different spots, and a different method is used to find each one. The money makes for a good incentive in this case because the subject is more likely to go out of his or her way to solve each clue, not daring to stop until it's over, simply because there are no clues given about when it will end. Knowing that he or she is the only one participating means that quitting at any point will result in never knowing just how many unclaimed dollars might have been behind.
     The first clue is in the form of vague sidewalk diagrams (3 total around popular walkways to school) that resemble the stone benches at Red Square. There is a specific point on one of the benches where a red "X" has been marked. The first person that thinks to reach under the bench represented in the chalk drawing will find a small envelope with a dollar inside, along with a small photo of Suzzallo Library with a sequence of numbers written on the other side. The participant will realize that these are call numbers to a book inside the library, and upon finding the book, there will be another dollar inside, folded between the specified page numbers with a new slip of paper. Written on this paper is a URL address for an audio file. This short sound clip turns out to be a reversed voice sample that gives a clue to the next reward. The participant must go out of his/her way to reverse the sample and go on to find the next dollar. Included with this one is a message written in morse code, revealing the location of the final dollar, which is close by. To add to the mystery of a game of which the origin or purpose is never explained, it might be fun (albeit a little cruel) to add yet another clue that is completely non-sensical, which will drive the player crazy with the sinking feeling that there is still hidden treasure around campus that nobody else knows of.

     Update: Someone discovered the first clue, and I know that the second clue was also found because I recieved an email telling me that 'someone' had downloaded the audio file. I thought ahead with the last clue and left a time and date for whoever it is to return, giving me time to think about what I will do for the next clue. I've decided to keep this game going for as long as I can, because it is exciting to anticipate the other player's progress every time I open my email. It's interesting to imagine an ongoing game between two people whose identities remain a mystery to each other.

1 comment:

  1. I love the complexity of this hunt! Though I'm curious if I would ever actually figure out any of these clues on my own... Like, if I saw a bench with an X, I think I would probably be confused and just think a little kid drew on it.. Though if I knew I was on a treasure hunt, then the context would completely change and I would know it's probably a clue!

    ReplyDelete