Sunday, July 21, 2013

Creating an Experience in a Card

For this project, I decided I want to make something that will be helpful to me. I'm redesigning my business cards to be interactive and memorable. Because a card itself is very boring no matter how visually interesting you make it, I want to improve the idea of a business card and make one that people can interact with. The problem I've come across while trying to design this is: how do I design it to reflect myself in an interesting way. I've been looking into all kinds of design options. So far I like the idea of having a QR code, or something similar, that can be scanned from the card. In that way, if someone loses the card, they still have my information, plus they don't have to manually enter any information. All they need to do is use their phone. Microsoft has a different version of a qr code, called a tag, that can be used for free and seems to have quite a few options. It is also more flexible and interesting looking than the traditional black and white of a qr code. The other part I want to include in the design is some fold out. I like the idea of it starting at the standard card size, but being able to fold out and expand in some way. Still working on it though.




UPDATE: So here is how they turned out. Still prototypes, but they worked out better than I expected. I think the final printing would be on cardstock and probably cut out with a die-cut. I know they would have to be made differently than traditional cards. The cards fold into the standard size, fold out to reveal a piece of my artwork, or fold into a cube that can be used to store other small promos, if I choose to 3D print some small examples of my work.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea, but what about people (like me) who don't have iphones and can't use QR codes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. The cards have all my info written on them as well, so the codes are really just a convenience for those that can use them.

    ReplyDelete