Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sorry guys

Upon working with the various clues of the scavenger hunt not only has a participant, but also as a creator, I've realized that communicating direction is a developing process that I feel somewhat inadequate. I apologize to my fellow gamers for not explicitly stating that our objects weren't actually objects, but in fact envelopes right at the beginning of the hunt.

There's a level of frustration that comes with looking for clues on a scavenger hunt. I think that people become so absorbed in the thought process behind their ideas that they misjudge how an outsider might interpret their direction. A successful scavenger hunt, in my experience involves enough intrigue and challenge to encourage pursuit; a scavenger hunt that elicits my deepest disdain generally incorporates too much esoteric direction that inevitably frustrates me to the point of giving up. Yes, I'm a quitter at times.

Regardless, as I stared blankly at Christy and Steven's website and aimlessly looked for signage provided by Krista and Athena that was later determined to be M.I.A. in the first place, I wondered if my fellow classmates were thinking the same thing about the clues Allen and I provided. Turns out, they were, which is interesting.

Allen and I thought our scavenger hunt was going to be pretty straight forward. It was a matter of finding a series of envelopes, and following some crude drawings and blog posted clues; however, everyone interpreted our clues differently and some even thought they could split up clues and go back and forth between various steps (spoiler alert: you have to go in order).

Perhaps in the future, it would be advantageous to provide a bit of a cheat sheet of some sort or preparation pamphlet of what to expect for the upcoming challenge. Better yet, mini scavenger hunts would be even better: embedded in each clue on the blog would be an attached direction to maybe a really good hint hidden elsewhere. If we had provided more context to our hunt, and maybe more opportunities to unearth various information/help on our hunt, we may have been more successful garnering a more positive scavenger experience.


Good to know for future scavenger hunts.



No comments:

Post a Comment