Sunday, July 24, 2011

Challenge 1 Recap

So, Challenge 1 definitely didn't go as I expected it to, but that's life, I guess.

I woke up a bit earlier than normal to get my make up done, which is always fun. We had some of the crew arrive early at my house (hanging plasterboard to give our house actual walls again), and so I had tons of fun going out and seeing all of their reactions to the giant gash down my face. I think my favorite reaction from the guys was, "You know, you should really dump that guy if he's going to be cutting into your face like that."

Carefully putting on my helmet so as not to smudge any of the blood, I hoped on the free-way and headed for class. It was great to see that Matt had been able to bring more ammo for the nerf gun, so hopefully we wouldn't have to worry about pantomiming reloading the gun for too many people. Then our assignments were headed out and we surveyed the campus. I was awfully glad we had the extra time before the challenge actually started, because it took us a fair amount of time to find that second check point, hidden in the greenery as it was.

We set up and try to attract attention, but to no avail. I walked out into the Quad a few times, trying to catch passing groups' attention, but most of them were business majors in suits and ties, and much too busy to shoot a zombie. How sad.

Then, no more than fifteen minutes later, we see some of the other team's members coming over and taking pictures. It took us all a few moments to realize that... they had just finished the game. WOW... they were really fast. The rest of my team seemed a little disheartened, but I honestly wanted to see if we couldn't get people to still complete our game as well. Instead, Emily said that she wanted to try it, so I took off running across campus, being fired at along the way. I might have acted up the zombie bit, but that's what makes it all so fun.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. I wish we could have had other students participate, but sadly, no one in our group had social contacts to pull in, and our starting location didn't match our game's strategy with the audience around us. Hopefully for the next challenge, we'll develop an even better strategy! GOOD WORK EVERYONE!

1 comment: